Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Arts Summative Written Reflection

a) Planning the process I was going to take in order to create my final summative was crucial. Because my painting had more people than anybody else’s’ in the class, I didn’t have anybody to side with or discuss with. But, by first tracing the photo, doing a maquette sketch, and sketching onto the wood, I was able to plan out where my figures would be and what colors I would use to paint them.
b) I incorporated the style of hip-hop into my painting to get across the main idea of the painting. I used different styles, such as calligraphy and tattoo, in my painting to add to it. I have been studying calligraphy for over 2 years now, but found that my work on the painting was a bit rushed and didn’t turn out as good as my work usually does. I study the work of Banksy a lot, and I like how he puts across striking ideas and messages through his work, and I tried to incorporate my own little idea into my painting.
c) I had the trouble of not being able to fit the original four characters that I wanted to be in my painting. After thinking about it, I decided that I would only use the three of them, and include some text to fill in any extra space. I also had the challenge of figuring out what I wanted to change from the picture to my painting, but still keeping it relatively close. I changed the color Wiz Khalifa’s jeans, and I changed the color of O.J’s shit because it gave a more sinister look to the picture when they were all wearing dark clothing. The dark clothes also show off the jewelry they are wearing, which is a main part of the idea I am trying to get across through the painting.
d) I used the acrylic paints in order to make different colors of all kinds. It was difficult to create some colors, but I learned a lot from it. I used thin brushes, medium brushes, fine brushes, and many more. I got a feel for each one, and also got to know how water affects the transparency of acrylic paint on wood. I used the sand paper to sand down the wood before I painted, and I definitely noticed a difference on how the paint strokes felt on the wood.
e) I really didn’t use very many things to come up with the ideas for this painting. I used one website:
http://www.banksy.co.uk
and I used a photocover of an XXL magazine as my actually reference photo.
f) My first drawings helped me a lot throughout my painting. I first traced the actual photo so I could get a feel for the layout of everything, and how to draw difficult body parts and positions. After I had done this, I drew out a maquette style drawing so I could figure out how to place the height of each character to show the depth of how close or far they are from the viewer. Although the maquette drawing may seem very simple, it was the most helpful tool throughout the process.


I would just like to also explain a little bit about the painting and why I did certain things to it. This painting is called "Fame". It is meant to show people that fame is something that only seems important until you've actually obtained it. The faces of the three famous rappers in my painting were left blank because in reality, their faces have become a brand. The face the have, that they have been given since they came into this world, means something completely different now, and the sooner you can block out their face and see what they really own, you can see what fame and material things mean to certain people. Most people out there would love to be famous. So, in this painting i left the faces blank and wrote "your face here" so that the viewer can try and imagine themselves in that lifestyle. My hope is that the viewer will have a definitive answer on whether or not they believe they'd still be "themselves" in that state. Therefore, as it says on the right of the painting - "play the fame game", and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment