Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Art Summative Diary

April 30th

Today I have finally chosen my photo. I will be doing a photo that was used on the cover of XXL magazine that features some of the richest and widely known hip hop artists in the world. In my particular photo, I will be working on four rappers: Nipsey Hussle, OJ, Wiz Khalifa, and Gunplay. I chosen this because I really liked the composition of the photo and because I have an idea of how I can twist the painting to get a message across. I did a tracing today over a light table and hopefully it will help me out later.

May 1st

Today I have drawn a maquette style drawing that will help me out when I am spacing the characters onto my wooden board. I really don’t like these kinds of drawings because I cant spend a ton of time on them, but I did learn about how for to space each one of them. I’m not sure whether I will be able to fit all four characters in or not?

May 3rd

Today I began to draw my characters onto the wooden board. So far it’s been difficult, but because of my previous drawings, it might be a little easier once I rally get it going. Not much really happened today, but I’m excited to see what the final piece will look like when it’s completed. I honestly have no clue how this will turn out. But I’m definitely going to be learning lots in the process.

May 5th

Today I finished drawing the characters onto the wooden plank. It has taken a while, but I think I have everything set up just right. After I finished drawing, I started working on the script writing in the top left corner that will read out “Fame” in calligraphy. Today was kind of boring because I really wanted to get painting on this, but I guess you gotta plan before you go big. The tracing I did really helped me out when I was drawing body parts I was a little unfamiliar with drawing.


May 9th

Today I started using the acrylic paint on my wooden plank. I began to paint Wiz Khalifa first, because he has a very simple shirt. I wanted it to be simple because I haven’t painted with acrylic in so long; I just wanted to recall techniques and such. I first put down a straight grey shade down onto his shirt. After that, I got a darker shade of grey and added the wrinkles and folds in his shirt on his chest and his elbow. I then painted his famous Pittsburgh chain. I made gold using yellow and brown, and then I painted his chain with a fine brush. I painted white highlights on the chain to make it pop and shine, and it turned out really nicely. I then painted the white t shirt that’s hanging below his sweater, and this was very simple. I had to add a little shade of grey in with the white to give it a folding look, and it worked. I want to incorporate the color blue into all of the characters somehow, and I had to think how I was going to do it with Wiz. I then decided to make the logo on his shirt a light shade of blue, and used a fine brush to get down to the little details.


May 11th

Today was a shorter class, and I really didn’t feel too creative today. Because it is a modified day today, the class today was only an hour long. With the added time it takes to set up paints and the easel, I didn’t feel like I had much time to paint today. Today I put down a solid black on Andre’s shirt so that next class I can work on putting the details into his shirt. I also did a lot of drawing today so that I can plan out where everything will go. I had to draw OJ’s hand today, and I worked on his body structure and shirt. It was challenging because I wasn’t really in a good mood, but I listened to some music and it got me back into the swing of things.


May 13

Today was a very productive day, and I think that I should be able to make the deadline without having to come in for any extra time. Today I had to paint Andre’s shirt and make it look realistic. Last class I put down a simple black down over his entire shirt. Today, after using different shades of black and grey I was able to display the lighting on the wrinkles on his dress shirt well. I started by painting wrinkles at the armpits and worked down both arms and then went to the chest. I had to include white shiny buttons on his shirt, and I gave him his chain. All three of the characters in this painting will have large, expensive, diamond chains. I gave Andre a silver chain with a shining cross hanging off of it. The chain was just painted grey, and then I added highlights of white to give it a shining affect. Underneath his black shirt, I gave him a blue t-shirt because the color blue will be incorporated into each character’s clothing. I put down some blue paint onto OJ’s shirt, and I’m going to start adding details to his shirt next class. My goal is to do each character, one per a class, so that I will be done by the deadline.


May 17th

Today was the finishing day of the painting. I had to complete O.J.’s shirt and necklace, the skin of all three of them, the writing, and the gloves on both characters. There was a lot to do today, but I got through it with a little bit of time after school to work on it. I had to change the color of OJ’s shirt because I thought that the black shirt would give him a more sinister look, which I was going for. Completing the “Brick Squad” bird on his chain was very difficult because it’s very detailed. I had to use a very fine brush and work slowly. Adding water to the paint made my brush strokes smoother and it added to the color. I covered their faces with two layers of white paint and then I wrote the words “your face here” on top of all three. I think that my planning over all was pretty well done because I didn’t have to use much extra time. I only went to one extra time session and it shows me that I used my time well during class then. When I finished the painting, I took a step back and took a look at it, and I really think it turned out well. Overall, I’m happy with it and I learned a lot in the process of making this painting. I learned about using water and acrylic, how to paint wrinkles in clothing, how to display lighting, and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment